October 4, 2017 (Overland Park, KS) Long thought to be non-transferable to humans, meat from deer contaminated with chronic wasting disease (CWD) may be more dangerous than originally thought. In a summer 2017 report by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency regarding the ongoing CWD study of 18 macaqu… Continue reading
Since the 1960s, Chronic wasting disease (CWD) has impacted moose, elk, deerand caribou across 24 states and two Canadian provinces. It is a fatal neurological disease that can decimate herds. Because of this, states have tried to stop the spread of this deadly disease by “lethally removing” diseased animals, closing supplemental feeding stations… Continue reading
September 25, 2017 (Overland Park, KS) Sustainable Agriculture and Wildlife Corp, LLC (SAWCorp) has introduced the very first practical blood test for Chronic Wasting Disease in deer and elk. Blood collection kits and lab tests can be ordered online at www.sawcorp.com The blood collection kits will also soon be available for purchase at selected outdoor retailers… Continue reading
Iowa State University researchers discover new screening technique for protein misfolding diseases such as chronic wasting disease and Parkinson’s
AMES, Iowa – A new screening technique outlined in recently published research from biomedical scientists at Iowa State University could slash the time required to conduct experiments on prion misfolding diseases such as chronic wasting disease. The discovery could pave the way for scientists to gain a better understanding of how these disorders develop and … Continue reading
A months-long effort to thin the deer herd and determine the infection rate of chronic wasting disease in southeastern Minnesota wrapped up on Sunday night when federal sharpshooters concluded their work in a CWD “hot zone” near Preston. Erik Hildebrand, DNR wildlife health specialist, reports that sharpshooters removed 238 deer in the past month, with … Continue reading
West Fargo Last fall, I wrote about specific restrictions that regulate the importation of deer carcasses and heads from other states, and the rules for transporting deer out of deer hunting Unit 3F2 in south central North Dakota. Unit 3F2, located west of the Missouri River and bordering the South Dakota state line, is targeted … Continue reading
- The New West: Wildlife disease expert weighs in on feeding elk, wolves and CWD - Buckrail May 22, 2019The New West: Wildlife disease expert weighs in on feeding elk, wolves and CWD BuckrailBy Todd Wilkinson. As a globally-renowned scientist, Andy P. Dobson specializes in studying a topic that most people don't like to think about, but which is ...
- Details emerge from shadowy state budget negotiations; still... - Duluth News Tribune May 22, 2019Details emerge from shadowy state budget negotiations; still... Duluth News TribuneST. PAUL — Details of pieces of a $48 billion state spending plan slowly rolled out Wednesday, May, 22, after they'd been weighed and agreed to behind closed ...
- Listening session held regarding proposed deer baiting ban - UpperMichigansSource.com May 22, 2019Listening session held regarding proposed deer baiting ban UpperMichigansSource.comHOUGHTON, Mich. (WLUC) - A listening session regarding the proposed deer baiting and feeding ban for a portion of Dickinson and Menominee counties was ...
- Conservation Congress rejects CWD bounties idea - WBAY May 22, 2019Conservation Congress rejects CWD bounties idea WBAYThe congress gauged support for the idea through an online survey and at its spring hearings in April. Nearly 60 percent of respondents supported the concept.
- Bait privilege license provides options for hunting - The Alexander City Outlook May 22, 2019Bait privilege license provides options for hunting The Alexander City OutlookA buddy of mine recently returned from vacation to discover what many landowners have been dealing with for the past couple of decades.