October 4, 2017 (Overland Park, KS) Long thought to be non-transferable to humans, meat from deer contaminated with chronic wasting disease (CWD) may be more dangerous than originally thought. In a summer 2017 report by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency regarding the ongoing CWD study of 18 macaqu… Continue reading
Since the 1960s, Chronic wasting disease (CWD) has impacted moose, elk, deerand caribou across 24 states and two Canadian provinces. It is a fatal neurological disease that can decimate herds. Because of this, states have tried to stop the spread of this deadly disease by “lethally removing” diseased animals, closing supplemental feeding stations… Continue reading
September 25, 2017 (Overland Park, KS) Sustainable Agriculture and Wildlife Corp, LLC (SAWCorp) has introduced the very first practical blood test for Chronic Wasting Disease in deer and elk. Blood collection kits and lab tests can be ordered online at www.sawcorp.com The blood collection kits will also soon be available for purchase at selected outdoor retailers… Continue reading
Iowa State University researchers discover new screening technique for protein misfolding diseases such as chronic wasting disease and Parkinson’s
AMES, Iowa – A new screening technique outlined in recently published research from biomedical scientists at Iowa State University could slash the time required to conduct experiments on prion misfolding diseases such as chronic wasting disease. The discovery could pave the way for scientists to gain a better understanding of how these disorders develop and … Continue reading
A months-long effort to thin the deer herd and determine the infection rate of chronic wasting disease in southeastern Minnesota wrapped up on Sunday night when federal sharpshooters concluded their work in a CWD “hot zone” near Preston. Erik Hildebrand, DNR wildlife health specialist, reports that sharpshooters removed 238 deer in the past month, with … Continue reading
West Fargo Last fall, I wrote about specific restrictions that regulate the importation of deer carcasses and heads from other states, and the rules for transporting deer out of deer hunting Unit 3F2 in south central North Dakota. Unit 3F2, located west of the Missouri River and bordering the South Dakota state line, is targeted … Continue reading
- Doug Leier: Here are some of the most common game and fish violations - INFORUM June 11, 2019Doug Leier: Here are some of the most common game and fish violations INFORUMWhen the topic of conversation is game and fish violations, most people might assume that high-profile cases like hunting on posted land or some type of big ...
- What is the most frequent citation issued by Game Wardens? - KFGO News June 11, 2019What is the most frequent citation issued by Game Wardens? KFGO NewsWhen the topic of conversation is game and fish violations, most people might assume that high-profile cases like hunting on posted land or some type of big ...
- CWD -- coming soon to a deer zone near you - Times-Georgian June 11, 2019CWD -- coming soon to a deer zone near you Times-GeorgianChronic Wasting Disease (CWD) was first discovered in Arkansas in February of 2016 in northwest Arkansas. Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) was first ...
- Editorial voice from elsewhere - Observer-Reporter June 11, 2019Editorial voice from elsewhere Observer-ReporterArea hunters' disgust in response to news about the Pennsylvania Game Commission's financial condition was predictable.
- Ontario Updating CWD Plan as Cases Draw Closer - WDIO June 10, 2019Ontario Updating CWD Plan as Cases Draw Closer WDIOWith chronic wasting disease getting closer to Ontario, officials are revising a plan to keep the deadly deer disease out.
- News Scan for Jun 10, 2019 - CIDRAP June 10, 2019News Scan for Jun 10, 2019 CIDRAPThe Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported 41 more measles cases in the past week, raising 2019's total number of cases to 1,022, ...
- Six notable changes in the 2019-2020 Pa. Hunting and Trapping Digest - York Daily Record June 10, 2019Six notable changes in the 2019-2020 Pa. Hunting and Trapping Digest York Daily RecordWith the start of the hunting season approaching, the new Pennsylvania Hunting and Trapping Digest is featuring some notable changes.
- Researchers achieve breakthrough in gene-targeted approach to study chronic wasting disease - Source June 10, 2019Researchers achieve breakthrough in gene-targeted approach to study chronic wasting disease SourceProfessor Glenn Telling, director of the Prion Research Center at CSU (left), talks with Jifeng Bian, research assistant, about their chronic wasting disease ...
- Excerpts from recent Wisconsin editorials - Sacramento Bee June 10, 2019Excerpts from recent Wisconsin editorials Sacramento BeeWisconsin State Journal, June 9. Out-of-state drivers should pay more, too. To most people, the difference between a "fee" and a "tax" is semantics. You wind up ...
- Missouri Department of Conservation to increase chronic wasting disease prevention - KSNF/KODE - FourStatesHomepage.com June 10, 2019Missouri Department of Conservation to increase chronic wasting disease prevention KSNF/KODE - FourStatesHomepage.comThe Missouri Department of Conservation is increasing their efforts to slow the spread of chronic wasting disease among deer.